Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lacassine Quad, 2 12 12

I like to drive the roads between the Lacassine exit off of I-10 and Highway 14.  Every time I go down to the coast that way, I pick a new combination of roads to travel.  Part of the fun is that the roads are mostly gravel and have very little traffic.  Part is that it beats traveling on a bird-less highway.  I don't know if I'd call it a birding destination, but this area is fun to bird.

However, today this quad was my destination.  I spent 10 chilly hours there gathering data for the winter bird atlas.  Here are some of the birds I photographed:

Grasshopper Sparrow:  Good winter for them.









Harris's Sparrows.  Birds 2 and 4 from left.    

Red-tailed Hawk.  

Vesper Sparrow.  Neat little sparrow with a bold eyering.  

White-crowned Sparrow.  Pretty dapper little bird.  

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Clay-colored Sparrow.  This was the first of 2 today.  

Same Clay-colored as above.  Getting warm in a sunny
windblock.

Clay-colored Sparrow.  Second of the day.  

No comments: