Saturday, December 31, 2011

300

I always set 300 species a year as an informal goal of what I'd like to see in Louisiana. Hitting 300 in a year used to be a little harder to reach than it is now.  Between range expansion, introductions getting common, and splits of species (Baltimore/Bullock's, Eastern/Spotted), there are more species available now compared to just a few years ago. Just as $300 isn't as much as it used to be, 300 species in a year for Louisiana has lost some of its luster.  I still use 300 as a yearly benchmark, but I adjust the figure upwards for inflation.  Nowadays, I think of the 315-320 range as the new 300.


Caracara is pretty much a gimme today.  Just a few years ago, this bird was nearly impossible to see in Louisiana.  




















This has been an exceptionally birdy year in Louisiana, so even with some misses, I hit my target a couple of months ago.  I'm not sure exactly where I stand today, here on the final day of 2011. I may stop to tally it up, but I doubt it.  It is informal, after all.

No comments: