Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Crested Caracara


















I can remember reading all about Caracaras in Lowery's Louisiana bird book when I was a kid.  According to Lowery, Caracaras nested in small numbers in the Gum Cove area of Calcasieu Parish.  I later learned that a ferry ran out to Gum Cove, and I hoped to get out there someday to see a Caracara.  These "Mexican Eagles" would have been easy enough to see in their expected range in southern Florida, or in southern Texas or Arizona, but the idea that this exotic looking bird actually had a toehold in Louisiana seemed pretty exciting.

Years passed, and I learned the ferry to Gum Cove had stopped operating.  I also heard things that made me believe the tiny Louisiana population had probably dwindled out.  Then, a little over a decade ago, Caracaras began to be reported regularly from the Fabacher Road area of Calcasieu Parish, and it seemed as if maybe the little group had managed to survive.  I went out and eventually got a look at one, and counted myself lucky.

Since then, Caracaras have staged something of a population explosion in our state.  It's not uncommon to see several in a day of birding now anywhere in SW LA.  Caracaras have  been reported as far east as Lafayette and Iberia Parishes.   There's no telling if the increased numbers come from the old Gum Cove stock, or from Texas birds spreading out.  Whatever the case, the Caracara is a great addition to our wildlife.

These pictures were taken today.  The perched bird was within sight of the Gulf in Cameron Parish.  The flying bird was part of a family of two adults and two young birds in Calcasieu Parish south of Holmwood.  Click to enlarge.

16 comments:

Rob said...

Hi Paul, I am a wildlife biologist in Florida and sometimes work with caracaras. Would you mind corresponding about your caracara onservations? I have some questions about the habitats you have seen them in, and what trees they are using for nesting there. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rob
rbittner@bda-inc.com

Anonymous said...

My name is Raymond Bednarz. I am a resident of Lake Charles and live near the airport in a somewhat rural area of Cal. Parish. I have seen what I think is a pair of Crested Caracaras and am wondering if what I am seeing is actually this bird or something else. I can find nothing else that looks like this in my bird book. Is there another bird more common to this area with a crest such as this bird.

Raymond Bednarz said...

My name is Raymond Bednarz. I am a resident of Lake Charles and live near the airport in a somewhat rural area of Cal. Parish. I have seen what I think is a pair of Crested Caracaras and am wondering if what I am seeing is actually this bird or something else. I can find nothing else that looks like this in my bird book. Is there another bird more common to this area with a crest such as this bird.

raykay@suddenlink.net

Chris Gary said...

I am a railroad engineer from Lafayette, La. I occasionaly run from Lafayette to Lake Charles and have spotted several Crested Caracara near Lacassine, La near the tracks. I have seen them in pairs resting in the trees just west of LA 101. There is a new rail yard being constructed here and most of the trees have been removed from the south side of the rail. I fear they may leave with all the construction taking place in the area.



Anonymous said...

Photographed one at Cameron Prairie W.R 3 March 2015.
Ken Johnston topthirteen at yah oo dot c o m

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! I photographed a pair in a field just south of Hwy 90 in the Laccassine area today-a prairie/rice farm type habitat-I'm a La native and hadn't ever seen one here before.

MyOwnSpaceship said...

The first pair i ever witnessed were flying up and down the Ouiska Chitto. This was about a decade ago. Since then I've seen a pair in the open fields east of Lake Charles and then I saw an individual about a week ago in about the same location.

Anonymous said...

Spotted one today near Abbeville, La. in a field not far from the Vermilion River.
Cool site had to google it to find out what it was lived down here and hunted all my life.
First sighting. 4/18/2018

Unknown said...

I have sighted a possible pair of caracara along hwy 27 , Holmwood area, late june 2020

Mindylkc3LA985 said...

My husband and I took a few photos of what we think is one in St. Mary Parish (Morgan City) area. My email is mindylou3985@gmail.com if anyone is interested in seeing what we thought to be one please email me with your contact information

Joseph ledoux said...

I have seen them around the lake charles airport in the past. Now I'm seeing them on family land north of the intracoastal canal in the big lake area

Vicki Sensat said...

There is still a prolific population of them on and around the Fabacher Road area. I am a photographer & see and photograph a large number of them every time I go out birding. They do nest here. I see them carrying sticks. I have lots of photos of the juveniles, but was lucky enough to also photograph a baby one. I will try to post it here if allowed.

Anonymous said...

There was a pair in our field this morning in Carlyss approximately 8 miles directly east of Fabacher Rd.

Anonymous said...

Spotted one eating dead animal on the shoulder of hwy 182 in Jeanerette.

Unknown said...

We are seeing them in Vermilion Parish off of Hwy 700
ndenais19@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Saw an adult west of Gueydan on Hwy 14 on 03/23/2024.