Sunday, July 19, 2009

To Have and Have Not
As I was out seeing the world one bird at a time today, this charming little bird surprised me on a quiet country road near Gueydan. I think it's some variety of Peach-faced Lovebird, but I won't swear to that. I do know it didn't fly all the way here from Africa. Polly was once somebody's pet, but my attempts to squeak her to my finger were in vain and she continued on her way.
Birds like this raise a debate in the birding community. Keep in mind that to many birders, bird lists are nearly sacred. If a bird escapes and perishes, it's not a big deal. However, if it finds a mate and starts a population, should it be counted as a part of Louisiana's birdlife? Or more accurately, can it be counted? Can the Monk Parakeets of New Orleans be added to our lists? The introduced Canada Geese at Rockefeller Refuge? And if so, where do we draw the line? Should birders count chickens and barnyard geese on their lists? There are differing opinions, different trails down that slippery slope.
In other life sciences, the rules are clear-cut. Introduced species that prove they can survive and spread on their own over time are regarded as naturalized and are added to the state list. Fig trees and corn, no. Chicken trees, yes. I love a good fig, but I wouldn't ask a botanist to put the fig tree on the state list. However, a botanist would be crazy not to add the chicken tree. Some birders agree with this cautious approach. Others feel it doesn't represent the reality of our current situation: if people are here to stay, then so are figs, so count them. Ditto for park ducks. I would agree with this approach for a plant survey of an area, but not for a scientific list of the naturally occurring species of an area.
Overall, I look at it like sports versus fantasy league sports. Birding is basically fantasy league ornithology. Fantasy leagues can make up whatever rules they like, but it's unrealistic for them to think that the big sport should change its rules to follow suit. I'll never forget seeing this cool little lovebird, but I don't think it's important for ornithology to remember it.
Anyway, that's my opinion, and it's just opinion. I hope I haven't ended up on the wrong end of your list.

No comments: